Sporty rope bracelets are everywhere this spring, and they’re super simple to make yourself. Go out and find some colorful rope at a variety or hardware store, and read on to find out how to make your own bracelet.
Left: Proenza Schouler Right: Miansai Center: Sailormade
Rope, 18 or 38 inches
Large endcaps with loops
Candle and matches or lighter
1. To make the bracelet on the left, skip to step 7. For the simpler bracelet (on the right in the picture above), cut 18 inches of rope and carefully melt the ends with a candle or lighter to keep them from fraying.
2. Double your rope, and keeping the ends even, tie a simple overhand knot so that you have a small loop at one end of the rope. Pull tight.
3. Check the length of your rope by wrapping it around your wrist to make sure it’s not too long, keeping in mind the length that your clasp will add (probably ~an inch). If it’s too long, trim and re-melt the ends.
5. Attach a clasp to your endcap using your pliers and a jump ring, then put a generous glob of glue in your endcap and stuff in the end of the rope that doesn’t have a knot. Let dry according to the directions on your glue.
6. Done! Easy, right? Want a more complicated version? Read on…
7. For the more complicated version of this bracelet (on the left in the earlier photo), cut 38 inches of rope and melt the ends to prevent fraying.
8. Create a loop in one end of your rope and continue looping through this loop until the chain is long enough to fit around your wrist. When it’s long enough, instead of creating another loop, pull the end through the last loop and tighten.
9. Cut off the excess rope and melt the end.
10. Attach a clasp to one endcap and a large jump ring to another.
11. Glue the ends of the rope into the endcaps and let dry.
There are tons of different ropes and knots out there, so the possibilities for this project are endless! Check out the Tying It All Together YouTube channel for many helpful decorative knot videos. You could even cut your rope longer and make a necklace.
OTHER POSTS YOU MIGHT LIKE