DIY Lined Jean Jacket Cuffs Tutorial
The inspiration for this project came from this Current/Elliot denim jacket at Anthropologie. The first time I saw it, I fell for the cute polka dot cuffs. However, the one product review points out that the cuffs on this jacket aren’t actually lined. They apparently belong to the shirt beneath the jacket. Anthropologie’s styling was just a little too good, but it still made me want a jean jacket with lined cuffs. So I made my own, of course.
Worn with my DIY half chain bracelets.
Jean jacket (If you don’t already have one in your closet, here’s a cute one, and another.)
Needle and thread
Fabric pencil or chalk
1. Measure the length and interior width of the cuffs on your jacket. Also measure the distance from the edge of the cuff to the end of the buttonhole. Write these measurements down.
2. Cut out two strips of your lining fabric that are the following dimensions:
Width: The interior width of your cuffs + 1/2 inch
Length: The length of your cuffs + the distance from the (short) edge of the cuff to the end of the button hole + 1/2 inch
3. On the long edges of your strips, fold in a scant 1/4-inch seam allowance to the wrong side and iron. Fold a 1/4 inch seam allowance on one end, then fold the other short end so that the fabric will be doubled under the button hole.
4. Pin in place, and measure the exact location and size of the button hole on your jacket. Mark a button hole of the same size in the same location on your cuff lining.
5. Use your sewing machine to sew a button hole on each fabric strip. Cut it open. Topstitch around the edges of the fabric strips.
6. Line up your cuff lining button hole with the jacket button hole, and hand stitch them together.
7. Pin the cuff in place, and hand sew to the jacket with an invisible stitch. I used this stitch. Repeat for both cuffs. You could use a sewing machine for this step, but then your stitches will be visible on the exterior of the jacket cuff.
Now that the weather’s warming up, I can’t wait to wear my jacket out and about.
OTHER POSTS YOU MIGHT LIKE