DIY Spiked Necklace and Earrings
Today I had plans to do a completely different project, but it didn’t work out because I was missing some key components (story of my life). Anyway, while I was unsuccessfully trying to find the supplies, I came across this cool spiked chain that I’d been meaning to use for some jewelry. So I decided to make a necklace and earrings, instead. And they turned out pretty cool, so I guess I can’t really complain about my original idea being a failure. You win some, you lose some, right? But you guys win this one because now I’ll show you how to make your own spiked necklace and earrings.
Spike chain -about 6 inches/20 spikes (I bought mine at Michael’s, but you can find similar chain from suppliers on Etsy)
Curb chain – I used about 13 inches for the necklace, and 4 inches total for the earrings
1. If you want to make both the earrings and the necklace, use the pliers to remove one spike from each end of the spike chain.
2. Add a jump-ring to each end of the spike chain.
3. Attach about 6 1/2 inches of chain to each end of the spike chain. You may want to adjust this depending on how long you want your necklace. (Also you might notice that I removed some extra spike-less chain from the ends of the spike chain. I thought it looked better without it.)
4. Add a clasp to one side, and a large jump-ring to the other, and you’ve got yourself a necklace.
Want some easy matching earrings? Here’s how to make them:
1. Use the pliers to twist open one end of a length of chain. Attach one of the two spike charms that you removed from the chain to the thicker curb chain.
2. Measure about 2 inches of chain, and open a link to detach this piece.
3. Attach the chain to the ear wire with the open link. Twist it close.
OTHER POSTS YOU MIGHT LIKE