After making my geometric print clutch last week, I decided it need a bit of color. So found a scrap of leather and made my pouch a bright leather tassel, inspired by the one on this bag. Though I used mine for a bag, there’s no reason why you couldn’t put your tassel on a keychain or necklace, if you prefer. Or make several, and put them on everything!
1. Measure and mark a rectangle of leather that is 3 by 5 inches. Cut it out. The thinner your leather is the longer your rectangle needs to be. 5 inches was the right length for my thin leather, but for thicker leather you’ll want a shorter rectangle.
2. On the backside of your leather, measure and mark a line 0.75 inches from one of the long edges.
3. Fringe it! Take your scissors and cut fringe, leaving that 0.75 inches you marked out in the last step uncut.
Animated gifs are fun!
4. Cut a piece of leather 2.5 by 0.5 inches.
5. Spread glue on the back and fold it lengthwise, wrong sides together.
6. Slip the folded leather strip around the key ring.
7. Spread a layer of glue along the top edge of the wrong side of the tassel to the 0.75 inch line you marked.
8. Place the strip of leather holding the key ring along one edge of the top of the tassel.
9. Roll up the leather as tightly as you can until you reach the end.
10. Allow to dry overnight and then attach to your bag.
Fun and easy, right?
OTHER POSTS YOU MIGHT LIKE