Are you adept at mixing patterns? I must admit that it’s not something I’m very comfortable with or good at, but I admire people who can pull it off. Though some people do it well instinctively, I think with practice you can develop an eye for it. Here are some tips I found, though some of the examples below successfully break all the rules!
- Rule of threes: three colors, three patterns, max.
- Stick with the same fabric. Silks OR cottons, not both.
- Use one “home base” color, and make sure everything you’re wearing has at least a little of that in it.
- Use similar prints, but in different scales.
- Pile on the prints, but keep the silhouette traditional.
- Treat leopard print as a neutral.
- Pair basic patterns with more complex prints.
Do you have any pattern-mixing tips?
1. Floral + floral
Where did u get that
2. Black and white stripes + dots
Girls Off Fifth
3. Floral + leopard + dots
4. Leopard + dots
5. Stripes + camouflage
B. Jones Style
6. Animal print + hearts
Ready-to-wear Burberry Prorsum
7. Geometric + geometric
8. Ikat + patchwork + leopard
9. Florals + leopard + checks + dots
10. Stripes + dots
11. Stripes + dots + more dots
12. Dots + houndstooth + leopard