DIY to Try: Feathered Brim Hat Makeover
A while back I shared some of my fall thrift finds, including a couple of cool hats from the Halloween accessories section. I already showed off my revamp of the grey one, and now here’s my makeover of the maroon one. Here’s what it looked like before, kind of sad and gaudy:
And here it is now:
I removed the weird flower/feather hybrid thing, and I added feather trim to the brim. The hardest part was finding the feather trim. It took a couple of visits to different craft stores, but I eventually found it in the “feather” section of Jo-Ann Fabrics (not with the rest of the notions). It came in 14-inch strips, so I hand-sewed two together, and then I tacked it onto the brim of the hat with hand stitches. There were a couple of sparse spots on the trim, and as I handled it some feathers came loose, so after I had attached it to the hat I went over the trim with glue and extra feathers and filled it in. Now that it’s all fixed up, I’m looking forward to wearing my hat this fall!
OTHER POSTS YOU MIGHT LIKE