Make a Leather and Chain Ladder Necklace
Necklaces are one of my favorite things to make. They can do wonders to spice up a boring outfit, but they’re relatively quick and easy. Especially this one. The only special equipment you need is pliers, so putting this together shouldn’t be hard even for a novice DIY-er. And you can totally customize it with different colors of cord, beads, or chain. Be sure to send me a link/tweet/photo if you make one!
Shown on top of the geode jewelry box I made recently.
Chain (about 7.5 inches)
Brass beads with large openings – You should be able to find similar ones on etsy or at a bead store. (I used leftovers from these earrings)
Faux suede cord – about 64 inches, make sure it’s thin and flexible
Measuring tape or ruler
1. Create three pieces of chain, about 2.5 inches each, by using the pliers to open up links of the chain and separate them.
2. Cut two pieces of suede cord about 32 inches each. Make sure the cord can fit through the links of the chain you’re using by tapering the ends of the cord with scissors. Repeat with the other piece of cord.
3. Tie a knot about 8.5 inches from the end of one of the pieces of cord and slide one end of one of the links of chain onto the cord up to the knot. Tie a knot right beneath the chain.
4. Slide a brass bead onto the cord, then tie a knot and add another chain so that it’s about an inch below the first chain. Repeat, adding another bead and chain, so you have three.
5. Tie a loose knot about 8.5 inches from the end of the other cord, and slide the chain up the cord. Tie another knot, then add a bead. Keep the knots very loose at this point–you’ll probably need to adjust them. You can trim your ends to make them perfectly even, but I kept mine just a little bit uneven.
6. Add the other two chains and beads, adjusting the knot locations to keep the ends of the cords and the chains even. Add 2 or 3 more beads to the end of each cord.
7. Tie a pair of sliding knots at the other ends of the cords. I used sliding knot tutorial. (If you don’t care if the length of your necklace is adjustable, you can instead just knot the ends together.)
8. Add another brass bead to the end of each cord, and knot each one.
OTHER POSTS YOU MIGHT LIKE